Monday, June 17, 2013

Shredded

All four of us have started the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred workout DVD.  Jimmy and Ashley are a little ways into it.  Bob has completed a couple of days. I just started last night. 



We planned to go running after our Father's Day activities but a storm kept us inside.  I decided to do day 1.  I'm not going to lie, day 1 was hard.  I was not very flexible and going from situps on the ground to jumping jacks might have made me yell at the television.  When Jillian asked the audience "Are you feeling the burn?"  I was!  It burned! 

But what I learned from Jillian and her two assistants (a beginner instructor and a more advanced instructor) was that truly committing to that program for 30 days would definitely show some results.  I'm not in dire pain today but I do feel the burn in my calves and abs.  Jillian does a really good job of telling the audience that her system will work.  I believe her. 

If you try it, and I recommend that you do, here are some tips for preparing both mentally and physically:
  • Buy a set of weights.  The system calls for no specific weight so whatever feels comfortable.  Bob and I actually used water bottles until we buy our weights. 
  • Drink PLENTY of water beforehand.  I did not do this and I paid for it.  But trust me, this workout is intense so being properly hydrated is vitally important.
  • Wear shoes.  I did my day 1 barefooted.  I won't do that again.  I could not get proper traction for some of the moves.
  • Follow Jillian's instructions!  Follow her form but also listen to what she's saying.  It is hard but it will get easier.  Follow the modified instructor until you get the hang of some of the moves.  I followed her for all of the floor exercises.  But I felt good following the more advanced instructor for "butt kicks" and "jump rope."
  • Just do it.  Even if it is a "bad" workout, it is still a workout!  Trust me!  You will burn so many calories.  And the more you do it, the easier it will become. 

No comments:

Post a Comment